Melinda Larson spoke to the East Newton R-6 Board of Education regarding contracted substitute teaching services at its June meeting.
The board approved the consent agenda, including the previous month’s board minutes, monthly bills, approved surplus property; let bids for tires; set lunch and breakfast prices for the 2015-2016 school year; and transferred funds from fund 1 to fund 2 or 4 if needed.
During program evaluations the board approved the evaluations of athletics and curriculum.
A report on summer school enrollment was given. A total of 392 were enrolled for summer school in grades K-12. A financial report of the previous month was also given.
Under old business, the board: held a second reading of MSBA policy updates; approved pest management bid to AAA Bug Away; approved propane bids to Ferrell Gas; and contracted substitute teacher services were not approved.
Under new business, the board:
• Approved a revision to the high school grade scale.
• Approved student insurance for the 2015-2016 school year.
• The 2015-2016 school budget was approved. The budget for the next school year included a $550 raise to the teacher base and an equivalent percentage to the classified staff.
Also, an increase of $10 was added to the yearly experience steps for certified and classified staff. An additional $10 per month was added to the insurance premium incentive for those staff members who participate in the district wellness program.
• An amendment to the 2014-2015 school budget was approved.
• Approved board meeting dates for the 2015-2016 school year.
Last on the agenda was discussion district wellness policy. The board then went into executive session.
The next regular meeting is scheduled for July 23 at 7 p.m. at Central Office.