5 years ago
• The Missouri Dog Breeding Regulation Initiative, Proposition B, more commonly known as the Puppy Mill Initiative, will appear on the Nov. 2 ballot.
• Seneca police officer Bob Wilson and wastewater plant worker Terry Fitch have announced their intentions to retire from their city jobs, respectively.
• Members of the community were invited to Seneca High School last week to offer their input to the AdvanceED North Central Accreditation group.
10 years ago
• During the Seneca R-7 Board of Education meeting on Oct. 18 the board heard concerns over the safety of students in the south parking lot at the elementary school during unloading before school.
• Brenda Wilkins, 53, of Seneca, passed into eternal rest at 2 a.m. Oct. 21, 2005, at the Midwestern Regional Medical Center in Zion, Ill., after an illness.
20 years ago
• The News-Dispatch’s Leader of Tomorrow is Chelsea, 14 months, daughter of Brandon and Lisa Graham, of Seneca.
• An update on construction of a school track was heard at the Seneca R-7 board meeting Thursday, Oct. 19.
30 years ago
• Mr. and Mrs. Robert VanSlyke, of rural Seneca, announced the birth of their first child, a son, born Sept. 13 at Freeman Hospital, Joplin. He weighed 8 pounds, 9 ounces and was named Brian Joseph.
• Mr. and Mrs. David Sampson, of Racine, announced the engagement of their daughter, Faith Elizabeth, to Anthony Yeats, son of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Yeats, of Ft. Scott, Kan.
40 years ago
• The Newton County Highway Commission has scheduled meetings throughout the county to discuss with residents the financial situation of the Highway Commission.
• The Leaders of Tomorrow are Raechelle, 5, and Tina, 2, daughters of Mr an Mrs. Lawrence Gideon, of Seneca route 1.
50 years ago
• Mr and Mrs. Frank Hutchison returned home following a 10-day visit with their son-in-law, daughter, and family in Whitewater, Wisc.
• Mr. and Mrs. Leon Keck of Albuquerque, N.M., announced the birth of a son, Leon Jason, born Sept. 22. The new arrival weighed 8 pounds, 4 ounces.
(compiled by MyraGale Sexton)