5 years ago
• Seneca’s Fourth of July celebration was a huge success this year. The festival had great participation in each of the events and organizers said they were very pleased with the turnout at the parade and at the fireworks.
• The FFA Disaster Response Team was a part of the group that started working on Tuesday, June 29, to make the Seneca Fourth of July celebration the success that it was.
10 years ago
• The Spring River Valley Pulling Association made its way to the Seneca Saddle Club Arena on July 1-2 for its 27th annual tractor pull.
20 years ago
• Little Miss and Mr. Fourth of July were: Boys — Estefan Martinez, first place trophy, Jayson Boyer, second place; girls — Corie Collins, first place, Arcadia Martinez, second place, and Shelby Boyer, third place.
• Black Powder Shoot winners were: first place, Doug Hall, 133 points; second place, Charles Smith, 122 points; third place, Danny Angle, 113 points; fourth place, Clint Mitchell, 108 points; and fifth place, Clint Haddock, 105 points.
30 years ago
• Donald C. and Dorothy Kyler celebrated their 45th wedding anniversary on July 14.
• Pat Patterson of Seneca caught a big catfish on a Friday afternoon with his friend, Larry Davis.
40 years ago
• Lora Golden, Seneca route 1, was the oldest person to compete in the Fourth of July walk-a-thon. She completed the four-mile walk in one hour and 16 minutes.
• Routine business consumed the majority of time at a short meeting of the Seneca City Council Monday night. The meeting included the payment of $3,484.33 in bills for the month of June.
50 years ago
• More than 1,000 people attended the first tractor pull to be held in Seneca. The event was held at the Seneca community sale barn on July 5.
(compiled by MyraGale Sexton)